Welcome to IPB skins - Skinbox
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

3.3.x skin upgrades

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

Ehren

Ehren

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
For those interested, Mystic is roughly 30% finished.
  • DarkRider, Mikey and Ryan11433 like this
Skinbox
Administrator
Skin designer

tyekynan

tyekynan

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm interested, and thank you. Since you are working on Mystic .. would it be possible to get an ETA?

Ehren

Ehren

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

I'm interested, and thank you. Since you are working on Mystic .. would it be possible to get an ETA?

I would like to have it completed sometime next week, but it really depends on when Sebastien is available for the php/js (config) modifications. :)

I don't usually give deadlines though, so don't be shocked if it's not ready when I say :)
Skinbox
Administrator
Skin designer

tyekynan

tyekynan

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's all good, just curious as to when I needed to start looking for the new download link. I won't hold you to it, but appreciate the response.

steve922

steve922

Advanced Member

• Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Any word on the missing color picker for elegant?

steve922

steve922

Advanced Member

• Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
any word on the missing color picker for elegant?

Kupernik

Kupernik

• Customer
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Brave finish ?

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Customer
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for all the hard work Ehren. Your efforts are appreciated. We were just looking at upgrading, so your update to Blood was perfect timing. :D

Sinister

Sinister

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Great work Ehren, I appreciate the hard work u have put in getting the skins upgraded. I know how much it involves.
~ Sinister ~

Ehren

Ehren

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
New updates will be released tomorrow with some bug fixes included. It's not a critical upgrade, but some skins will benefit :)
Skinbox
Administrator
Skin designer

Sinister

Sinister

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

New updates will be released tomorrow with some bug fixes included. It's not a critical upgrade, but some skins will benefit :)

Cool deal Ehren :D

Will u b posting an announcement in this News & Updates forum with a list of what skins go minor bug fixes so that we all know which skins r good to go. That way I can re-download the Elegant skin from my client area again.

Now to figure out how and what I need to do to upgrade my site skin from v3.2.3 -to- v3.3.0, it's all new to me, never did an ipb skin upgrade. :lol:

~ Sinister ~
~ Sinister ~

Ryan11433

Ryan11433

Advanced Member

• Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Is it a free update? when some skins will benefit some more? does it applies to IPB 3.2.x too? because I'm not upgrading some of my boards yet as I'm still waiting for some of modifications updates to work in IPB 3.3 build first.

Mikey

Mikey

• Customer
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the updates, Ehren! Can't believe you got them upgraded this quickly. My gaming site can now run it's nice skin once more :D

Having Mystic upgraded would be an added bonus but we've all survived without it since 3.1, so I'd be tempted to say that you should take your time with it and make sure it's great :D
  • tyekynan likes this

jsterling

jsterling

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The downloads section for warrior has a note about the update for 3.3 but there is no link. Am I missing something?

Ehren

Ehren

Advanced Member

• Management
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
All 3.3.x skins have been updated with bug fixes (anything mentioned in the bug forum should now be fixed). Any template files which missed the upgrade (causing incorrect text, missing links, etc) have all been updated correctly in the latest skin files (which are hopefully all bug-free now). :)
Skinbox
Administrator
Skin designer

Gaffney

Gaffney

• Customer
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Good to see Caja has also went up to 90%

articuno1_au

articuno1_au

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello,

I took over skinbox in September last year. During that time, I've had to manage two other skinning sites apart from this one, and I have upgraded 11 of the premade skins at this point. It's much more difficult and time consuming having to upgrade someone elses code (since I wasn't the original designer), because everyone has their own techniques. We're not hiding any information about upgrades - they're simply not as quick as we'd hope.

Since 3.2.x was only released in July, it's not possible that you've been waiting for more than a year for upgrades (it has just reached the 8 month stage if you had upgraded on day 1, keeping in mind I've only been here for 6 of those months). I was skeptical about taking over skinbox because I was aware of the amount of work which was needed and considering I needed to upgrade 20 skins for free (without any prior payment from past customers), it was very daunting to say the least. The site needed a massive overhaul, not only design wise but the forum/customer system needed major updating and I can say with some confidence that every customer would have been left in the dark with zero upgrades if no one had taken over.

As you probably know, Olivier is no longer part of this site. I am not aware of any promises Olivier has made in the past so it is difficult for me to meet any expectations on his behalf.

The skinbox skins are now #1 priority on my list before any custom work, so upgrades will be quicker than they were with 3.2.x. It just takes time.. can't say much more than that.

If I've made an error with regards to the time scale, then I retract that and apologise. I double checked my time period with Wikipedia's entry for the release date and wrote it based on that; apparently something was lost in transcription (having reread I suspect I read the 3.1 release date in this case).

To explain the apparent and openly expressed displeasure in my post, your post here:

Please don't underestimate the amount of work required. I currently do not have any dates for releases. Dead lines will only make me rush and I'd rather have a high quality skin instead of a rushed one ;)

just came off as flippant to me. As I am sure you understand, it is irksome to be held back by upstream providers regardless of the reason for the holdup, and flippancy just adds insult to injury.

I have done a lot of work with Ollivier's code. I understand where you are coming from as some of it just made my eyes bleed. Not to say he did bad work, but the way he approached oft left me wondering whether his mind could have been used as a corkscrew.. I can honestly sympathise with you here.

The issue for me was quite simply that there really appeared (whether factually true or not) to be very little progress; combined with my perception of flippant remarks just made me want to slap someone upside the head.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post. Contrary to the way I may have come off, I have no greater expectation than that my concerns be addressed if not resolved. If I came off overly harshly then I apologise.

It's extremely poor that you come in here acting like you expect everything to be done on your watch. Yes we paid for these skins, BUT if it wasn't for Ehren this company wouldn't even be around right now. And then you would have NOTHING. No support, no upgraded skins, etc. .

And you probably don't realize that he's asked people for help with skinning, but I'm certain he hasn't gotten anyone reliable that he feels comfortable with putting out a solid product that he thinks people would appreciate.

Come on here. . give the guy a break, he is doing the work of probably at least 5 people at least right now between all of the sites that he now does work for. Be happy that this site is still around and he responds to EVERY topic that is made. And that there have been upgrades made.

In the long run, not every customer is going to be happy. If you want something done quickly when you want it, go hire an outside designer/coder and expect to pay more than what you're paying for here. Also I'm pretty certain you didn't pay for any upgrades, so you paid for the skin once and it's now going on 2 updates that we (the customers) have gotten for free. Not sure what more you want with the cheap price tag that they've given us.

By keeping the Skinbox name, Ehren undertook all of the liabilities and benefits that come with the name. He gains the customer base and loyalty (such as it may be) but he also gains the expectations and requirements of these customers as well. These customers paid Skinbox. They do not care who the poor smurf that has to do the work is, they expect Skinbox to deliver.

My expectation (and that of any business/man) is that the company to which I paid money for a prescribed service will deliver that service. I know shit happens; I run a business myself. The issue here is that this "shit" has been "happening" for an extended duration and appeared on the surface to be going nowhere fast. Now I must give Ehren credit for the the way he has handled some users' (myself included) posts, but it genuinely appeared from my monthly check-ins on this site that NOTHING was happening.

While not meaning to pile on Ehren with this statement; I don't believe you could suggest that 8 months turn around time could reasonable be called slow. Glacial seems a much more appropriate adjective in this case. 1 month I would have been pleased. 3 months I would have been satisfied. 6 months I would have been irked but have shrugged it off. 8 months with no sign of progress.. I expressed my ire..

I didn't expect a 2 week turnaround. I know exactly what I paid for and what I didn't. I know that part of what I paid for was a reasonable turn around time. Again, with no intention of piling on Ehren, your defence of his position is untenable.

Gaffney

Gaffney

• Customer
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

While not meaning to pile on Ehren with this statement; I don't believe you could suggest that 8 months turn around time could reasonable be called slow. Glacial seems a much more appropriate adjective in this case. 1 month I would have been pleased. 3 months I would have been satisfied. 6 months I would have been irked but have shrugged it off. 8 months with no sign of progress.. I expressed my ire..

I didn't expect a 2 week turnaround. I know exactly what I paid for and what I didn't. I know that part of what I paid for was a reasonable turn around time. Again, with no intention of piling on Ehren, your defence of his position is untenable.

- IPB 3.2.x came out 25th July.

- Ehren took over publicly roughly on the 19th of September. (56 days later).

- The last skin released was on the 17th of February. (151 days to remake 10 skins, two per month).

- Those 10 skins were then updated to 3.3.x within two days.

- 7 skins have still to be finished, most of them are the last skinbox skins made by the previous management and didn't have a lot of sales.

All of this for free upgrades except attracting people to buy new skins, while working on his own stuff.

Really you should be blaming Oliver for releasing a lot of quite heavily coded skins near the IPB 3.2.x update and did nothing for roughly two months. The site can't be turned around quickly, there is no one else who would have took on the challenge of this site.

I would say that 80-90% of the people's skins have been released since the other 40% probably didn't sell very well at all.
  • mz_ and circo like this

Nevo

Nevo

• Customer
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think that Ehren is doing is a great job so far and I for one am only going to try to support him instead of talking about my expectations because as a Developer and IP.Board Skinner, you have no idea how much work it is and the prices you're paying... You paid them once and you're getting free updates... Just be happy with what you got and try to make the best of it. I just downloaded all my skins in 3.3.0, i noticed some bugs in a few of them however as unfortunate as that is, ill either fix them or report them here and its not a big deal. The big picture is that as a Skin Developer, keeping up with all these skins and coding is a lot of work and you should appreciate it a little better, even if you're paying for it.
  • Ehren and mz_ like this

DarkRider

DarkRider

Advanced Member

• Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi Ehren,
Upgraded my test board to 3.3 and did a clean install of the Warrior 3.3 update. When importing I received an error in my AdminCP that the skin was for 3.2 not 3.3 (I'm certain I grabbed the file Warrior33x_skinbox). Noticed a couple issues when navigating the site then as well, whatever link I click, whether to enter a board or a post or the moderatorcp, I'm getting a white page delay in between that is really noticeable on a dark board. Also my primary Nav reads "Forums Members Forums Members More" the buttons are doubled if I click one version of say "Members" both buttons appear pressed, same with forums.
If you need screens just give a shout. :)
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users